From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 13:33:59 -0700
Anita wrote,  "I don't believe history should be written to make a certain group comfortable."

I agree completely; don't we all?

What I find interesting and, as an experienced researcher, a bit unsettling, is the tendency to "personalize" history in a way that remembers only the good and none of the bad of a particular cultural/racial group involved with the settlement at Jamestown; another trait of human nature we all share.

The same barn-blind selected-history used by those who wrote school texts when I was a child more than 60 years ago is now the basis for most Native American histories appearing in grade and secondary text books --and every place else.  It seems the biggest critics of the English in Jamestown are completely unaware of the ongoing warfare of the Powhatan and their enemies that was taking place before, during and after the arrival of the English; and while it's not my favorite "rest of the story", the continual wars and capturing of slaves between the tribes were as much a part of what happened in this country as the Revolution or the Civil War.

Joanne