From:
John Hopewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:23:44 -0400
A "guardian ad litem" was appointed for only that particular legal
proceeding. It is a person to protect the interests of the minor in a
specific law or chancery matter. It should NOT be interpreted as the child's
guardian in daily life. In Virginia, I have seen instances where the clerk
of the court was appointed the guardian ad litem. A longer, fuller
explanation of various kinds of guardians can be found in Black's Law
Dictionary which is available in paperback. Hope this helps.  John Hopewell