From:
Richard Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 11:39:39 -0400
Henry

You point out correctly the distinction that I glossed over in my
reference to the "dower slaves" of Martha Washington. Dower provides a
life estate and not a fee simple interest, so that on Martha's death,
her interest in the slaves extinguished, and they passed under the
provisions set up for the intestate estate of Daniel Parke Custis. You
did explain this in "An Imperfect God," so I should have known better.
Richard