From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 06:32:05 -0500
Thanks to many leads from VA-Histers, I continue to bounce through the Internet in search of music that might have been played by a trumpeter at Jamestowne between 1607 and the end of the century.  I have found hundreds of pop songs of the time, and of course psalm tunes were de-rigeur for church at that time.  And incidentally I found a wonderful Tiffany window interpretation of Anthony van Corlear, the New-Amsterdam Trumpeter in a collection by Dover of 24 Tiffany post cards.

Discovery of WHEN THE KING COMES INTO HIS OWN AGAIN was a plesant find since the notes are exactly what a trumpet can play, the tune is pretty upbeat, and of course legend has it that it is the same tune played by Cornwallis at his surrender a century later.  But that brings up the question of the sentiments of the Jamestowne settlers in the 1640's as the English Civil War raged.  Probably, like any community today, there are feelings across the spectrum of who was right and wrong.  But are there any journals, books etc. which might discuss such?

And in fact, I guess I should know it but I do not, is there a readily available "History of Jamestowne" which picks up say in the 1620's and carries us forward to the end of the 17th century when the capital moved to Williamsburg?

Randy Cabell