From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 06:03:03 -0400
From: "Diana Bennett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 5:31 PM
Subject: Colonel Tarlton

> Dear Listers:
>
> Another Rev War question. My ancestor was guarding British prisoner in
> Charlottesville. His pension app says that Colonel Tarlton and his
> British Dragoons visited the area.  Does anyone know when that might
> have happened? I'm trying to find a time frame here.

First, re the Revolutionary War in the South, I recommend THE ROAD TO
GUILDFORD COURTHOUSE.  It is an excellent account of the war from just
before the fall of Charleston to the Battle of Guildford Courthouse.

Second, re Tarleton and Charlottesville - He was sent ny Lord Cornwallis to
capture Jefferson and the Virginia Legislature, and stories and legends
swirl about it.  A patriot, Jack Jouett, is said to have overheard
discussion of the raid in a tavern, so he jumped on his horse and road all
night to warn Jefferson. Shades of "THE BRITISH ARE COMING, THE BRITISH ARE
COMING".  Segue to some private home the next morning where Tarleton is said
to have spent the night.  The gracious lady who owned the house, also a
patriot, is said to have kept feeding Tarleton home-made biscuits to delay
him.  Meanwhile, Jack reaches Jefferson and tells them to skidaddle.
Tarleton arrives in Charlottesville and waters his horses under a large oak
tree, which when I was a lad (OK that was half a century ago) was still
standing in the downtown.  Finally, Tarleton rides up the mountain to
Jefferson's place to find........  Jefferson and the famous members of the
Legislature have skidaddled, and only the second-string legislators stayed,
because nobody would want to take them prisoners.  Right?????   Right!!!!
One was the representative from Kentucky County Virginia, a Daniel Boone.
Hmmmmm....   Walt Disney never mentioned that episode.  My father used to
say that if Jack Jouet had a chronicler like Paul Revere, ("Listen my
children and you shall hear, of the midnight ride of Paul Revere") then Jack
would be every bit as famous.  "Here's a man who knew how to do it, that
dashing horseman, young Jack Jouett...."  Well, obviously not a Longfellow.

Incidentally, the book I mentioned follows the major players to the end of
their lives -- e.g. Tarleton who never really amounted to much, and
Cornwallis who went on to become the Viceroy of India.

Randy Cabell