From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 18:58:32 -0400
Alex,

It might prove useful to separate antebellum laws versus Reconstruction laws versus Post Re-construction laws. This seems to be a complicated family situation worthy of in-depth study of the laws on the books at any particular time. I don't think you can build a story based solely on census data.

Craig