From:
"Edward S. Ayres" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:52:15 -0400
Dear Netti,

   It has been 12 years since I was involved in working on Flowerdew
Hundred, Yeardley, Peirsey, etc. and all of my notes, sources, etc. are
buried away in boxes in the attic so I am very rusty on the whole early
17th century.  Was Nicholas Bayley at Flowerdew in 1624 as well as 1625
and if so was he married at that time?  It would appear that Yeardley
brought him over as a servant in 1620 and quickly sold him to Peirsey in
1621.  I cannot come up with a good reason why Peirsey would have let
him pay off his indenture, unless he was a skilled craftsman (perhaps a
sawyer or carpenter?) and therefore more useful as a wage earning
craftsman or tenant than as a servant.  My impression back in the 1980s
when I was thinking about this was that both Yeardley and Peirsey were
very predatory and even took advantage of the dislocation caused by the
1622 uprising to trap free men into becoming their servants in order to
gain shelter and protection.  Perhaps someone else who reads the LOVs
discussion list will have a explanation.  Good luck and let me know if
you come up with an answer.

Ed Ayres