Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:30:40 -0400
There is also the problem of acid(s) on our hands when we touch and handle
antiquities.
Many of the folks I know who work within  the "Historic Triangle" of
Yorktown, Jamestown and Williamsburg are usually careful to put on some sort
of gloves, archival cotton type, before they touch old headstones....or
anything really old, for that matter: furniture, art work, tapestries even
ceramics and metal. I think that hospital style, latex gloves would be
suitable for working with old tombstones but I am definetly not an authority
so it would be best to check with those who know about these things (like
Darlene Richardson).
Deane Mills
York County, VA