From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:43:40 EDT
In a message dated 6/19/2003 1:50:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Maybe we need a bumper sticker that reads:
>    "Virginia: Prosperity Based on Government Regulation Since 1722"

Hello Jon and all,

I have followed the discussion with much interest and enjoyment, but I would
amend the above bumper sticker to read "since 163X".  I am in California 3,000
miles from all of my files, and the quite fine Long Beach library doesn't
have Swem's,  but in Hening's Statutes volumes in the 1630s (maybe1640s) there is
a list of "inspectors" to make sure that nobody grows too much tobacco, and
the actual law that was promulgated for this is there in its full glory (and it
would be dandy if someone could access that).  One of the inspectors is John
Baugh for "Connecocke" in Henrico Co., if memory serves on the spelling.

This is all from memory, but in the citation there is specific reference to
the fact that the "adventurers" (or maybe planters?) need to get a return on
their investment (so they'll be happy and rich because that was what Virginia
was all about in case any of you settlers forgot!), and , again from memory, it
seems that back then, only 20 years give or take of settlement, the colonies
had alot of eager beavers entrepreneurs  planting too much tobacco, driving the
price down, etc.

Anyone who has access to the Virginia Historical Index/Henings can find the
text really quickly!

However, I don't recall if it mentioned suckers or not, just the limitations
on plants themselves.  When I read it the first time I had visions of perhaps
some of the settlers clearing out a few acres in the forests that nobody knew
about and getting around the "crop controls" (sort of like the folks that grow
marijuana in the northwest).

I can't honestly say that I have read all the emails, so if this has been
mentioned I apologize.

With best regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter