Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:40:40 -0500
Well, I cannot speak for the others on this list, but I am
southern born and bred.  My ancestors fought, mostly for the
south, mostly in Longstreet's Corps.  Many of them died.  One
of the ones who lived took a bullet during Pickett's charge,
crawled back to the Confederate lines that evening, has his
leg amputated in a field hospital, and lived to tell the
story.  The medal he received afterwards, as a survivor, was
passed down to my father's generation, or at least so I am
told.  Another died at Chickamauga.

But so what?  I don't really know much about these people.
They left very few records behind to know them by.  I have
land plats, a family bible, a school note book, a few letters.
 I don't know precisely why my ancestors signed up to fight,
or how they wound up in brigades led by the likes of Armistead
or Robertson.  Some of my ancesters owned slaves, most did
not.  Of the ones who did not, all were related reasonably
closely to someone who did own slaves.  Some no doubt were
bitter racists, and some open minded, decent folk, by our
contemporary standards.  But so what?  Their accomplishments
were not my accomplishments, and their sins were not my sins.
 That is as true of my ancestors as it is of anyone else's
here on this list.

And either way, no matter how reflective or unreflective,
virtuous or venial they were, nothing about them changes the
fact that the war was fought for bad reasons.  There is a huge
difference between the reasons that soldiers fight and kill,
on the one hand, and why their public societies organize to
take them to war, on the other.  My criticisms ultimately are
for the politicians, statesmen, jurists, and intellectuals who
led them to an unjust and ill-considered war, fought for
unjust and ill-considered purposes.

All best,
Kevin