Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 09:21:03 -0500
I hardly thought this source was the one being used but the supposed quote
is then from page 52 of a *64-page booklet*, TO LEAD AND TO SERVE: AMERICAN
INDIAN EDUCATION AT HAMPTON INSTITUTE, 1878-1923 (Virginia Foundation for
the Humanities, 1989) that contains mostly photographs of Indian artifacts
and is classified as an 'exhibit catalogue.'  It only has a very brief
history summary and analysis of US policy and practice in the education of
Indians in the 19th and twentieth centuries, from the understandably biased
viewpoints of the co-authors.  This is hardly a scholarly source upon which
to demean a man's career and person of 100+/- years ago, as well as his
colleagues in both houses of Congress who passed general budgetary
constraints during the early 1900's.  Such a damning quote is not soundly
referenced, it is simply 'attributed to' Texas Congressman John Hall
Stephens.  All of this 'quoting' seems rather to be passing along a
pass-along.

Please understand that I don't doubt for a second that racism occurred, and
Stephens may well have been a racist but I don't know that and I haven't
seen proof that anyone at this list does either.  I simply dislike seeing a
man's person and legacy being so demeaned by this 'supposed' quote that may
be untrue; likewise for other individual Congressmen of those times who have
been portrayed here as 'all' thinking along lines of 'the quote' if they
voted for federal budget constraints.  Is this bias?

Neil McDonald