From:
Martha Katz-Hyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:32:33 -0500
If you haven't already done so, be sure to contact the Museum of Early
Southern Decorative Arts (MESDA) in Winston-Salem, NC.  Their Index of
Early Southern Artists and Artisans (working dates pre-1821) is
probably the best compilation of information on artisans of all types
available for the earlier part of that time period.  The Index itself
is available on-line; I just did a search on "Petersburg, VA" and 560
names were returned.

Go to
http://www.oldsalem.org/index.php?id=114
for more information.