From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 17:55:43 -0500
It was largely a class issue, Nancy.  All through early writings about Virginia
runs a thread of concern or complaint that the excellence of the climate and
the fertility of the land had a deleterious effect on the "Inhabitants," who
were naturally inclined to do as little as possible.  It may strike us as
absurd today, but you can find dozens of instances of this cautionary
observation just by reading Purchas or Hakluyt or anthologies of 17th and 18th
century accounts of Virginia and Carolina.

Cheers -- Kevin

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:07:16 -0500  Discussion of research and writing about
Virginia history