From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:02:01 -0400
Ultimately, the is a problem in the culture of learning that teachers and
scholars will have to settle with firm rules and where warranted very bad
grades.  What we are seeing is the pedagogical equivalent of Say's Law:
inaccurate information drives out accurate information.

One of my best students in CT., one who went on to do distinguished graduate
studies in Europe, told me one day that he just couldn't find the
information I suggested he needed for a research paper.  I told him that
historians, librarians, and archivists just could not say such things, even
though it was occasionally true that information could not be retrieved.  I
explained that everyone else in academia, at least on the humanities and
social science side of the house, depended on these three professions and
their practitioners for precise information necessary to their own work.

He was instantly "enlightened."

We are at a moment equivalent to the handoff between scrolls and books.  It
produces cognitive dissonance among those of us who are book people but we
need to take courage.  One thing the scroll people taught the book people
was that books needed to be as accurate as manuscript copied scrolls had
been.  We may have a distaste for the new information technology, but that
is an aesthetic matter.  What we must do while we can is to insure that the
academically usable parts of the new technology are as precise as are the
books we treasure.  Perhaps the Google library project, once it overcomes
its copyright legal problems, will be the answer to Wikipedia.

Harold S. Forsythe