From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:59:40 -0500
"Indian Wars" covers a wide period of time, extending well into the 19th
century.  Are you sure the "French Indian War" is meant?

The French and Indian War lasted from 1754 to 1763.  What is now
Kentucky was not part of the British colonies until after that war.
Land was granted in Kentucky based on service in that war, but was
issued by the state of Virginia (which governed Kentucky until it became
a state in 1792).

The best book on Virginia service in the French and Indian War is Lloyd
D. Bockstruck, _Virginia's Colonial Soldiers_ (Baltimore: Genealogical
Pub. Co., 1988).  I do not find the name POTTENGER in that book.

If you can be more specific about the years that your Samuel POTTENGER
lived, and where he lived after his service, I can perhaps suggest other
sources.

Donald L. Wilson, Virginiana Librarian,
Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center
  for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC),
Prince William Public Library System,
Bull Run Regional Library,
8051 Ashton Avenue,
Manassas, VA  20109-2892.