From:
Douglas Deal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:29:01 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Has anyone done an analysis of the positive recollections versus the
> negative recollections in these narratives?  I would also be curious what  that would
> disclose.  Perhaps it would indicate something that no one wants  to
> admit....that slavery in fact was not all that dehumanizing or cruel as far  as the
> actual participants were concerned.
>
> I assume these are first hand narratives with actual  former slaves.  I think
> it is interesting that some of you want to  argue with the first hand
> recollections of the actual participants in slavery as  to whether they knew what
> they were talking about in describing their actual  experience.
>

> JD South
> <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free
> email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
> http://www.aol.com.

Historians must always appraise the reliability of the sources they use.
Yes, there are quite a few evaluations of the WPA slave narratives. The
reflections of the late John Blassingame are worth considering (see the
introduction to his edited collection, Slave Testimony).

In my classes, I have students read and interpret what they believe to
be interviews with two different ex-slaves. The interviews present very
different views of the institution, but in fact are both interviews of
the same person (one by a young black man, the other by a middle-aged
white woman). We discuss the differences and the precautions one must
take in using interviews such as these.

Doug Deal