From:
"Peter V. Bergstrom" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:23:35 -0500
Ralph Hamor's "A True Discourse of the Present State of Virginia [1614],"
(reprint Richmond, VA, 1957), p. 11 notes the wedding took place  5 April 1613.
The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Dr. Alexander Whitaker, the first
minister of Henrico Parish -- which was seated at Henricopolis (near modern
Dutch Gap) on the James River.  Whitaker had been responsible for Pocahontas'
conversion.

Although Henrico Parish dates from 1611, St. John's, as Jon Kukla points out,
dates from 1741.  The extant vestry book begins in 1730.  The earliest
"systematic" records of marriages begin with scattered marriage licenses
recorded in the Henrico county records beginning in 1682.

The most comprehensive work on Pocahontas is still Philip Barbour's _Pocahontas
and her World_, (Boston, 1970).

The 1595? birth date comes from her painting by an unknown artist in the
National Gallery in Washington, in which she is stated to be 21 years old in
1616.  As I recall Barbour has an extensive analysis of this painting and its
likely predecessors in a series of etchings.  In any case, the date seems to
have been established at the time of her death, and this is probably only of
relative accuracy.

I sure would like to see a copy of this purported "birth certificate."  Even as
a baptismal document it would have to have been created about 1612-1614, the
time of her conversion to Anglicanism.  As one who has been studying Virginia
and especially Virginia source materials for over thirty years, I've got say
that if this document exists, it will "be a new one on me."

Peter V. Bergstrom, PhD
Independent Historian,
PC Services Consultant & Web Designer
336-286-8654