From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:21:21 -0500
(This was software-delayed in Richmond because I had failed to use straight e-mail text, but maybe it's not completely too late. Sorry and thanks.)
According to washingtonpost.com, under the headline "Civil War150th Anniversary: Edward L. Ayers on end of war and slavery"(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2010/10/29/DI2010102904641.html),President Ayers "will be online Monday, Nov. 1, at 11:30 a.m. ET to discuss the Civil War ... [H]e has campaigned to re-message the Civil War so it's not just about war but also about the end of slavery. For him, this is the '150th anniversary of  the Civil War and Emancipation.'" You can submit questions and comments via http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/content/submit_nation253.htmbefore or during today's discussion. Participants in VA-HIST won't be surprised to learn that I myself have asked whether Virginia's overdevelopment-minded leaders are justified in claiming that the full national historic landmark at Fort Monroe -- a vital site in the crumbling of slavery -- has to be sacrificed in order to protect that precious land's moated, stone heart. In past public statements -- brief ones, maybe not fully reflecting his views --President Ayers has seemed to me to assume that Virginia's leaders must be right about that sacrifice. Thanks.
Steven T. Corneliussen
Poquoson