From:
"Finkelman, Paul <[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:27:49 +0000
We should remember that the Founders were not a generation of up-tight Victorians (except for maybe John Adams perhaps, who would have been a proto-Victorian).  Franklin had an out of wed lock child and wrote some pretty racy things; Jefferson had children with Sally; Hamilton probably had an affair with his sister-in-law;  numerous lesser southern founders (than Jefferson) had sex and children with their slaves; some scholars have suggested that the signs all over New England that "Washington slept here may have a double meaning; pornography was not unknown; this was the  age of Tom Jones and Fanny Hill after all.  English gentlemen notoriously had mistresses (there is a wonderful half-nude of one in Yale museum of British art).  So, why should we be shocked by Jefferson's poetry or his relationships to women?

Paul Finkelman, Ph.D.
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208

518-445-3386 (p)