From:
"COUNTRY.GARDENS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 03:05:49 -0500
A WORD OF WARNING TO ANYONE WHO HAS NEVER ENJOYED THIS SCRUMPTIOUS DELICACY,
"VIRGINIA" or "SMITHFIELD HAM": IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THIS MEAT BE SLICED
PAPER THIN.
IT ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE EATEN IF IT IS CUT IN THICK SLICES LIKE ORDINARY
HAM.
ONCE IT HAS BEEN SLICED VERY THINLY, JUST PUT A SINGLE SLICE OR TWO OF THE
HAM ON A POACHED EGG OR A CRAB CAKE OR  EVEN BETTER, A BISCUIT WITH SOME
SWEET & SOUR MUSTARD AND VOILA!  A TRUE SOUTHERN EPICUREAN DELIGHT.
MY GRANDMOTHER, WHO WAS FROM ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY, USED TO SAY THAT THE ONLY
REASON ANYONE COULD POSSIBLY DISLIKE SMITHFIELD HAM WOULD BE BECAUSE THEY
HAD CUT IT TOO THICKLY AND RENDERED IT INEDIBLE. EVEN THOUGH THE HAM IS VERY
SALTY IT ALSO HAS A SUBTLE FLAVOR THAT IS LOST IF THE MEAT IS CUT IN CHUNKS
OR THICK SLICES.
REMEMBER: PAPER THIN.