From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:43:54 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:38:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: eventual phasing out of slavery

Great, David, let me jump back in.
  The mores of the North would have changed, because of changed
circumstances.  There would have been internal conflict, to be
sure, but just as Canada changed because it became a haven for
escaped slaves re:  the US, the North would have shifted gears as
it become to new nearer Canada, vis-a-vis the Confederacy.
  I have never bought the radical abolitionists' demands for disunion.
 Save for the purest of the lot, I have always thought it a confession
that they could not imagine the industrial and financial might of the
North wielded to destroy slavery.  They accepted Civil War soon
enough when it came.
  The question of asylum is fascinating.  First, the Dred Scott
decision would not necessarily have remained precendent in the
Confederacy, but would have in the Union.  Thus, citizenship was
almost out of the question, without a constitutional amendment.
(Even in victory, the radical Republicans were so unsure of the
effect of the citizenship clause in the Civil Rights Act of 1866, they
reenacted the clause in the 14th Amendment.)  Ultimately, Ben
Butler declared slaves contraband of war;  but it is not clear that a
parallel policy--contrabands of peace?--is imaginable.
  David is quite right to doubt that an incoming Republican
administration would or could have accepted Confederate
independence.  Lincoln's steadfast policy was holding the Union
together, by any means necessary.  Jefferson Davis would have
been wise to distrust any promise from Lincoln to the contrary;
perhaps by having international guarantors of the Confederacy's
nation status.  Would Lincoln have been so foolish as to promise
England and France that he would not invade the new neighbor to
the south, and then do so anyway?  I doubt it.
  Richard Hofstadter maintained (in his Lincoln essay, in the
American Political Tradition), that Lincoln tricked the Confederates
into firing on the flag at Ft. Sumter.  Abraham Lincoln was one of
the shrewdest politicians ever produced by a wily nation.  He was
as full of tricks and he was of jokes and I suspect he would found
another way to make the Confederates attack first.

Harold