From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:14:56 -0500
I would think the most obvious reason for the deletion (or striking out) was that the Executive Order of 1863 was no longer in force.  Lincoln was dead, and Johnson had already started his own processes of amnesty and reconstruction.   It may have been sinple thrift to alter an existing form.

David Kiracofe

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College
Chesapeake Campus
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
757-822-5136
>>> Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]> 11/09/06 1:02 PM >>>
Sorry.  I'll do this another way.  I don't think these lists allow attachments.

I have a Certificate of Release of Prisoner of War dated June 17, 1865.
Part of the printed certification is carefully ruled out.  Does anyone know
the significance of the deletion?

I hereby Certify, That       (name)      Prisoner of War, having this day
taken the Oath of Allegiance to the United States, as prescribed by the
President in his proclamation of December 8th, 1863, is in conformity with
instructions from the War Department, hereby released and discharged.

The words ruled out are in the middle -- as prescribed by the President in his proclamation of December 8th, 1863.