From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:17:27 -0500
Thanks, this is quite an impressive listing! We hear so much about so
many of the other prominent early Virginia families, I realized I
knew next to nothing about Patrick Henry, other than a few mentions,
and his speech in Richmond [which we had to memorize in elementary
school, pretty much the whole thing, not just the "liberty or death"
part- "The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring with it
the clash of resounding arms... What is it the gentlemen wish, what
would they have?" etc]. I hate to disappoint you and Jane, but the
mention in the Washington Post was just that, a mention. Every Sunday
they have a little "road trip", a day or so of journeying to
interesting spots in  the DC, Maryland, Virginia, W. Va., Penn. etc.
area. Sunday's was a "Virginia is for Lovers" trip, in conjunction
with Valentine's Day, they stopped at Richmond [the Valentine Museum,
Hotel Jefferson, where Charles Dana Gibson married Irene Langhorne],
Goolrick's Pharmacy in Fredericksburg, and down to Virginia Beach.
Along the way was mention of a place called Studley, where Henry was
born, and it mentioned he sired 17 children. No more mention than that.

I'll have to do some poking around and look into his family more, it
looks interesting. I guess the Dandridge was connected to Martha
Washington's family?

Good old Rich'mun schooling in the Fifties and early Sixties. Every
other year we had Virginia history.  A year of US history, a year of
Virginia, a year of world history, a year of Virginia.

Thanks again,

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone