From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:44:04 -0400
There are no markers. The place was a parking lot for years, gravel
surfaced if memory serves.

If you look at the Micajah Bates map of Richmond done in 1835, there
are two other burial grounds which have apparently not been treated
with decorum. Shockoe Cemetery out by the Poor House, later the City
Hospital and now a set of condos was between 2nd and 4th streets and
south of Hospital Street. The Jewish cemetery is north of Hospital
between 4th and 5th. Directly east of that was a "Free Persons of
Color Cemetery" and east of that was "For Slaves". The approach for
the new bridge cuts across that partially and formerly a service
station at the northeast corner of Hospital and 5th stood over the
Free Persons of Color cemetery and the slave cemetery is a totally
overgrown mess going down a very steep slope and onto the bottom land
by the creek. I may be totally wrong, but I don't know that any effort
was made to move burials for the service station and I would like to
be proved wrong. There is not trace of either cemetery extant.

The Library of VA might have the records for these cemeteries so you
might be able to find your ancestor in the Free Persons of Color
cemetery, but the date is a bit early as those weren't in use if
memory serves. As far as I know, the cemetery at 15th and Broad
contained slaves and some executed criminals.

Lyle Browning, RPA