From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:50:37 -0500
Before those without culinary inclinations prevail, let me share a tale of
greens.

Several years ago my sister, Patty, who lives outside Detroit, was called to
serve on the jury in Detroit. A fellow juror introduced herself as Martha
Reeves. When the judge gasped, she said, "Yes, Martha Reeves of Martha and
the Vandellas". Patty was delighted. After the first session, they talked as
they waited for their rides home. Martha's never came, and Patty & Mario
drove her home. Martha and Patty chatted the whole way there, and became
fast friends. Some months later, after many meetings for lunch and other
events, Patty spent the day at Martha's apartment. It was the first time she
had grits (not instant) for breakfast, but what fascinated was the Greens
with lunch. I asked for the recipe, and was astonished that Martha used
smoked turkey necks instead of a pork product. She also added an array of
herbs. Patty didn't know which greens they were, even tho Martha tried to
educate her in the variety of Greens to be chosen.

Martha came from Alabama. Her family settled in Detroit when she was a girl.
She, of course, went to Motown and became a hit (it's all in her
autobiography). Patty and Martha are still good friends. Martha has been to
Patty's granddaughter birthday parties (sang Christmas Carols with Libby in
the summer), and sang for the guests at Aimee's wedding. Patty has been
there with Martha at many interesting meetings and was part of her campaign
for City Council, and was in the newspaper picture of Martha's staff - the
only white person there.

But those greens, with smoked turkey necks, still fascinates me. Is that an
Alabama thing? Or What?

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem