From:
Jane Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:16:21 -0400
Diana: This is a correct definition of an average plantation/farm in a lot of cases.  However as time went on (which included moving further south due to land being either used up crop wise or losing land due to financial concerns or other circumstances) this did change for some of the owners. Your larger cotton plantations in the "deep south" after 1800 were indeed larger but the numbers were smaller overall in comparison to the average sized ones that you very correctly pointed out. Jane Steele.