From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:44:18 -0400
Colonial people who go "against the grain" to achieve something good are
what interests me.  What made them different from the others? For
example, I have come across examples of men reading the Declaration of
Independence and freeing their slaves shortly afterwards, or freeing
those of age and then giving training to the younger ones and then
freeing them when they reached majority.  The  wife who waited until
after her husband died to do as she wished with the slaves by freeing
them and sending them to Liberia at her expense. Fathers who believed
that daughters should be given an excellent education like their sons.
An Indian woman who fought for her daughter's freedom after her
indenture expired by standing up to the authorities by pointedly stating
that her daughter was "born in Virginia."  Or another Indian who decided
to live like an Englishman, including making deeds and making a will.  I
have come across these examples and more during my research, but am
interested in hearing about others anywhere in Virginia you might know
about.  What makes these people tick and act differently from  their
peers?