From:
Diane Ethridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 19:59:23 -0500
With all due respect to the historians, educators, authors & other list members, I'm having a difficult time understanding why the circumstances of  Jefferson's private life are of any particular importance or interest to anyone but the families of the deceased parties involved in this personal situation that happened so many years ago.   It isn't exactly "breaking news" that he owned slaves, was a single man at the time and she was attractive, vulnerable  and available with few consequences as a result of the liaison.  Also, not a startling fact is that he isn't the first president, nor will he be the last, who fell from earthly "grace" because of his human condition.   He was a man of his day & time, extraordinarily gifted in so many ways but still a fallible being...period.  What am I missing as to the reason for this huge interest in this subject?

Thanks,
D.  Ethridge
TX