From:
Douglas Deal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:56:05 -0400
I would remind list members that the documentary projects at issue here
include the pioneering FREEDOM: A DOCUMENTARY HISTORY OF EMANCIPATION
1861-1867, directed first by Ira Berlin and now by Leslie Rowland. No
project, save the WPA interviews of former slaves, has done as much as
this one to rescue from oblivion the experiences and direct testimony of
ordinary Virginians during the most dramatic upheaval in our history.

Douglas Deal
Professor of History and Director of General Education
State University of New York at Oswego
Oswego, NY 13126
(315)-312-5631 (voice mail)
(315)-312-3577 (FAX)