From:
Heritage Society <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:52:08 -0500
Dr. Kukla:
Your research seems to indicate that the phrase "give their time" was
understood by the mid-1800's. We are aware of many instances where slaves
were permitted to hire out and keep the wages or were permitted to leave
and go to other locations in Virginia and work. The phrase must have been
understood among slave owners because the Martha Randolph note does not
explain it and obviously she assumes that her daughters will understand
what she means. It makes the question more interesting why it does not
appear in the contemporaneous literature.

Richard E. Dixon
Editor, Jefferson Notes
Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society
703-691-0770