From:
Clara Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:20:18 -0800
Well slap me silly - you mean Ms Pemberton was talking about southern terrorists in Pennsylvania?  Goes to show you just how far removed I am from the concept of Confederates as terrorists.  I thought she was weaving Muslims into her tale.

Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Invading PA was not terrorism; there was terrorism in Maryland (John
Merryman blowing up bridges etc) and in Missouri and there wre many
war crimes (like Fort Pillow), but the invading armies were were not
terrorists; traitors yes, but not terrorists

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York 12208-3494

518-445-3386
>>> [log in to unmask] 02/14/07 6:11 PM >>>
Nancy,

Sorry to disturb your sensibilities, but I do think that terrorists is a

good description of what the southern soldiers were doing. I'm thinking
of
such things as the invasion of southern Pennsylvania, the torture and
mutilation of bodies of Union soldiers, especially black Union soldiers,
and
other attrocities that were committed by those who refused to accept the

constitutional rule of the majority in this nation.

Just as, I would not take the word only of the settlers at Jamestown for
the
truth of the way of life of Native Americans, I do not take only the
word of
southerners for what happened in the uncivil war. There was no "Northern

Aggression", and, in Virginia, the Union Army did NOT "lay waste" to the

land. In fact, it was the south who set their own capital city of fire
prevent the north from taking possession of the cotton in the
warehouses. If
it is best to research Native Americans by exploring their lives from
their
own perspective, then it is best to research that nasty war from both
sides
of the conflict.

Use of the term "southern terrorists" was intended to offset the nasty
terms
already being thrown into the fire. Abraham Lincoln was a good,
god-fearing,
people-loving man who solved a grievous problem in a bad time. He paid
for
his goodness in his untimely death at the hands of a man who refused to
accept the moral mandate of the nation.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/stevepem