From:
John Smith at dhova <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Smith at dhova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2010 09:29:30 -0400
Thanks for the wealth of information and references.  That was an
outstanding web site with a chronolgy of sinkings on the east coast.

I counted about 25 tankers sunk in 1942, most in the first six months.  At
4.7 million gallons of oil per ship, thats about 117 million gallons which
went somewhere.  Its a long coast, and as you noted some tankers are said to
still have oil in their tanks (althought the amount is questionable, since
oil is lighter than water, which accounts for the fact that it was really
difficult to sink a tanker unless the torpedo blew a hole in the tanks
themselves.)

Randy Cabell