From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:01:17 -0400
Hello all,

All this talk of Patrick Henry and fiddling made me think of an
interesting newspaper excerpt that is often cited as the first
documentation of a fiddle contest in colonial America.  For a specific,
recent citation, try Chris Goertzen,
"Balancing local and national approaches at American fiddle contests" in
American Music,  Fall, 1996.  He, in turn, cites the Virginia Gazette of
November 26, 1736.  Here is the quote:

"We hear from Hanover County, that on Tuesday next, (being St. Andrews
Day), some merry-dispos'd Gentlemen of the said County, design to
celebrate that Festival, by setting up divers Prizes to be contended for
in the following Manner, (to wit) A neat Hunting Saddle, with a fine
broadcloth Housing, fring'd and flowr'd &c. to be run for (the Quarter,)
by any Number of Horses and Mares: A fine Cremona Fiddle to be plaid
for, by any Number of Country Fiddlers, (Mr. Langford's
Scholars excepted:) With divers other considerable Prizes, for Dancing,
Singing, Foot-ballplay, Jumping, Wrestling, &c. particularly a fine pair
of Silk Stockings to be given to the Handsomest Maid upon the Green, to
be judg'd of by the Company. At Page's Warehouse, Commonly call'd
Crutchfield in the said County of Hanover, where all Persons will find
good Entertainment."

Goertzen finds the connection to St. Andrew's Day suggestive of perhaps
a Scottish fiddle contest tradition.  At any rate, it looks like P.
Henry had some local fiddle players to emulate.

Gregg

Gregg D. Kimball
Director of Publications
  and Educational Services