From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:35:54 GMT
Randy,
I have contacted the Virginia Historic Resources about an unmarked graveyard of slaves. I believe my ancestor, Patty Bowdens, father buried in that grave. I was told that I had to get permission from the owner of the property, a Washington descendant. The VHR says they have no authority over graves on private property. Yet, I was told previously that the state could add an easement in the case of graveyards. The Washington descendant I spoke to was very helpful, and then cut off all communication. I send email messages, and he does not respond. The grave is unmarked, and I wanted to have a religous ceremony of some sort, and at least mark it.