From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:32:16 -0400
I believe Jefferson may have felt slavery was wrong but did nothing about
it. I have read he made a comment "God will punish us for what we have
done". And, I believe this statement was made regarding his position on
slavery -- of course, I could be wrong. He had put himself into a style he
was accustom to living. By freeing his slaves that style would have been
changed a great deal. And, I'm sure he feared he might loose his lands and
be forced to move in with his children or another relative. He may have
known of others who had suffered this fate, like Lewis Nicholas of
Albemarle, younger brother of Wilson Cary Nicholas.

Lewis Nicholas lost his land due to the bad business dealings of his
brother, Wilson Cary Nicholas. He did not loose his land because he managed
his own business poorly or because he freed his slaves. But, he lost his
economic status in Albemarle County all the same. Lewis Nicholas, son of
Robert Carter Nicholas, the old Treasurer, was considered good at managing
his estate. Unfortunately, he trusted his older brother's judgement in
business speculations.

Thomas Jefferson most likely knew that Lewis Nicholas lost his land. TJ was
involved in the same sceme and might have been relunctant to do anything
that might jeapordize his own economic status -- even if he thought the act
was morally correct.  (It's hard going back to a diet of hamburger once you
get used to steak) ;-} He might have felt that God did not approve of his VA
planter style of living, however, he didn't fear God enough to free his
slaves. Since it wasn't considered "politically incorrect" to own human
beings at that time, he seemed to feel he did not need to do anything about
slavery.

If you try to parallel his position on slavery to any of our issues today
regarding the environment, abortion, etc, you might understand how easy it
is to not make a stand and to continue to go with the flow. Although, I'm
not trying to say slavery is the same as recyling. But, I'm trying to say
that we, too, do things we know are morally wrong regarding the environment,
for instance. But, it's easier to continue down the road of pollution than
it is to make a stand and modify our style of living. And, so it seems it
was the same with Jefferson and slavery.

Lonny J. Watro