From:
Harold Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:11:35 -0400
The ports of entry were not established by the Virginia legislature but the
Customs Department in London. The Naval Officer for the Upper James River
district, if I remember correctly, was, for a long time,  Lewis Burwell of
Kingmill. The office was in Williamsburg but the ships entered and cleared
at Burwell's Landing. The Greenhow-Repiton Brick Office on Market Square was
likely the Customs House but I can't prove it. I have somewhere in my files
a list of all the Naval Officers and Customs Collectors in Virginia.
HBG