Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:03:53 EDT
In a message dated 10/19/2002 1:31:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Alas, we are far past the point of being able to do anything about this
> circumstance except pick up the remaining pieces and hope that we can hold
> them together.

Here's a thought.  As so many families originate in Virginia and as Virginia
history is so pivotal to the overall history of the nation, I'd imagine that
only fraction of those who use the online genealogical and historical
resources of LVA are actual current Virginia residents.  What about setting
up some kind of membership/fee system for out of state users? In order to use
the facility, you first have to "join" online. If your street address is in
Virginia, it's free (but voluntary donations gladly accepted). If you're out
of state, charge folks an annual membership fee. (But give access to SOME
online info as a freebie to get people interested in what's there).

This strategy works for FamilyTreeMaker.com, Ancestry.com, etc etc.  Why not
run the online genealogical resources for Virginia as a sort of business too,
now that public funds are in short supply? That way, it could even become a
profit center (publications, etc) thereby subsidizing new activities,
additional record transcription, etc. Virginia taxpayers are already paying
through their taxes but others from out state are not. (educational
institutions, genealogical libraries, etc could get global/group
subscriptions, so that their users could get access to the data, even if they
personally couldn't afford it (students, etc).

Also, there's plenty of us in Virginia who would happily give a voluntary
donation to be a member of "Friends of the Library of Virginia".

It's a thought, anyway.

--Kathryn Coombs
King George County and Alexandria, Va