From:
Donald R Makosky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 10:56:35 -0400
Dear Deane Ferguson Mills,
        I just joined this list yesterday.  Having moved to Virginia upon
retirement in 1997, I am busy learning more of the history of the state
and the controversies it has raised.  I was born and raised in Maryland,
but must admit that I was a college teacher by profession and probably
meet your definition of liberal.
        Nevertheless, this is a sincere question I ask now, not a criticism or
put down.  What rights did Virginians in the 1850s believe might be taken
away from them except their right to make their own decisions about
slavery?  At that period wasn't the federal government debating whether
to make slavery illegal in certain territories as they applied for
statehood?  Lincoln said repeatedly that preservation of the union was a
higher priority for him than abolition of slavery.  That is, the federal
government did not intend  in 1860 to abolish slavery in states like
Virginia where it was already established.  It does appear that secession
precipitated the Emancipation Proclamation.

                Sincerely,   Donald Makosky