From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:32:19 -0500
  If I may tag on here, white southern military support for the Union appears
to have been multiple times as strong as white northern military support for
the Confederacy.  Some have argued that 200,000 white southerners served in
the Union Army.  This was, after all, a war.  Military participation would I imagine be
a strong if not the strongest measure of political adherence.
  What do you think?

Harold S. Forsythe