From:
James H Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:22:26 -0500
Harold, I certainly agree with you about the factional dynamics within the Republican Party in the early 1870s. I guess my point was that even with a somewhat stronger intent to enforce rights that, given the reality of the 19th century state, there was little means to do so. There was no concept of keeping a substantial standing army or possessing and maintaining a large bureaucracy to carry out Recounstruction.

I agree with you in part about the strategic nature of Republican support for the Readjusters. Scholars since the books of Hirshson and DeSantis have noted Republican opportunistic support of independent movements in southern states during the 1880s. But it's rarely wise, however, to draw too strict a line between practicality and principles in American political history. After all, the Republicans could still muster enough support for black political rights to almost pass the Lodge Bill in 1890. I do disagree with you about the possibilities of a sustained biracial coalition in the late 19th century, about what it could have changed. The governing class and the dominant economic interests certainly must have feared it--why else would they fight it so fiercely. I think its success could have prevented the consolidation of the caste system that took place in Virginia from 1890-1924.

Lastly, you're right about church-going black folks leading the fight for civil rights in the 1950s and '60s. But the relationship with federal enforcement was more complex that you indicate. At each step, whether from the Morgan decision to the Brown decision to the Montgomery Bus ruling, there was a reciprocal relationship between black protest and federal support. There had been black protest earlier--of street car segregation in Virginia cities in the early 20th century, for example--but without outside, specifically federal, support it did not succeed. That takes away nothing from the courage of the black people who challenged segregation. It indicates that a lot of components had to come together so that their courage could drive legal and social change. In the 20th century, as in the 1880s, biracial coalitions were needed if you aimed to change the whole society.

Jim Hershman