From:
Jean Duke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:27:51 -0500
Dear Lyle,

Maybe I can help you. I was once a profesional photogapher and later, for 35
years, a university professor (of English). Now retired, I'm back to doing
photographer as a hobby/small business and am producing the kinds of
archival images you mention.  I have done a number of images for my own
publications , as well as for others.

I think your best bet would be a Canon Digital Rebel. It captures
simultaneously in RAW as well as JPEG, is 6.3 megapixels and is a single
lens reflex. I work mostly in RAW, but often in JPEG as well. I save in
TIFF.

 The trouble with shooting off a tripod  for copy work is that you have the
problem of shadows caused by the legs. I use a copy-stand and always shade
the workpiece with a white photo-umbrella to keep unwanted light and
reflections from above
away. Because the camera is a SLR you can also get good results hand-holding
it. I always carry and use black tape-covered metal strips to hold the
workpiece flat.(Home Depot can supply metal strips that you can cut to
lenght with a hacksaw.)  I use automatic white balance, and make what
compensation is necessary--surprisingly little-- in the computer. I work in
8-bit depth and save in
12. I hold the ISO as low as I can to avoid noise.

You can't really get first-class images though without Photoshoping your
work.  I use Photoshop 7, which has an amazing amount of tools, but also has
a quite high learning curve. I save  save in 300 dpi if the images are for
publication .

At present I'm doing images for a book on Scott Fitzgerld and one on African
American architecture.  I'm using the above for the work.

I hope this helps.

Cordially,

Maurice

Maurice Duke, PhD