From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:51:19 -0400
I fail to see your point. There was no army in the colonies to enforce the
treaties - in fact the treaties were frequently broken by the colonists who
seem to have been unable to require their citizens to adhere to the law. If
the treaty said that the Indians would be allowed to live "here" as long as
the sun shines and the rivers run, and a year later, some yahoo moved onto
that land, the colonies did not uproot the yahoo, but just sent presents to
the Natives and "negotiated" a new treaty that totally disregarded the fact
that the last one had been broken, and insisted they were still "friends" to
the Natives,  who could occupy less and less of their land promised to them
"as long as the sun shines and the rivers flow". It was not the lack of an
army, but a general attitude that promises to the Natives did not have to be
kept. Then, big crocodile tears were shed when the Natives "uprose" and
"massacred" the invaders. The government swore again they were "friends" to
the Natives, but the line between them was pushed further and further back.

I'm reading a book called "Into the Woods" by James H. Merrell, who makes it
pretty clear how the Natives were abused until they pushed back.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org