From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:50:20 -0400
Paul and All,

  I think Paul is correct on this.  The very power of Parliament to
repeal all acts supporting slavery, both acts of Parliament and acts
of colonial agencies (legislatures?), was the great fear of the
plantocracy in the 18th century;  a fear reduxed in the controversy
over the commerce clause in the era of Gibbons v. Ogden in the
1820s, and upon "black Republican" Lincoln's election to the
Presidency.