From:
Harriet Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:39:26 -0500
Some of the traditional foods my grandmother & mother fixed here in
Rockingham County were things like canned pork sausage and canned pork
tenderloin (to die for!), ham pot pie (which is country ham broth with the
left over chips of ham, potatoes, and squares of dough cooked in it), most
any kind of vegetable fixed with a cream sauce, and of course you had to
put sugar in them, and gingerbread with lemon sauce.

I really thought I talked like everyone else, until it was brought to my
attention that most people don't pronounce bush - boosh (as in goo), and
push - poosh, and then there's "warshing" the dishes.
Probably the one thing that bothers my husband (who is a Tuckahoe) the
most, is when I say I'm going "up" to Staunton (south of Harrisonburg), or
"down" to Winchester (north of Harrisonburg. Since the Shenandoah River
flows south to north - this is a holdover from the days of river travel.

Harriet Welch