From:
Joe Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 14:00:32 -0700
Correct. Real estate was NOT inventoried as a general
rule. Sometimes, it may have been involved if, for
instance, a will required that the executors sell a
piece of land and distribute the proceeds to 1 or more
devisees ("devisee" is the legal word for a person who
receives land through a deed, while "legacy" refers to
personal property distributed by will).

The proceeds of land or a report of the value of
shares of land in a division of land may also appear,
but usually that will be in a separate document, often
called a "final report" following a land division. The
reason for this is that division laws require that
land be divided into shares that are of "equal value,"
not acreage or any other measurement unless the
testator specifically prescribes special terms of
division.

If land passes by intestacy -- without a will -- than
title passes "by operation of law" and is not part of
the decedent's estate.

Even if there is a will, land will still pass by
intestacy if the will does not address dispostion of
the land. Prior to the Revolution, "by operation of
law" not only meant that no written instrument was
required for title of the land to pass from the
deceased to her/his male heir, but the Law of
Primogeniture would direct all the land to the oldest
surviving male heir, who could be a father, a brother,
nephew or cousin of the deceased if the deceased had
no surviving lineal male descendants.

So, like everything else, there are "general rules,"
but usually there are always exceptions based upon the
particular factual situation.

jc

--- "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>