From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:39:59 -0400
  Working from memory here, I think David Brion Davis reports in The Problem
of Slavery...I or II, that the Quaker central meeting in Philadelphia
decided in the mid-1770s that one could not both be a Quaker and
a slaveholder.

Harold S. Forsythe
History & Black Studies
Fairfield University