From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:44:13 -0500
The market value of the land is directly related to the tax assessment of
the land.  As to so-called "death taxes," the inheritance tax is a hoary
state tool which was aimed at the landed nobility whose wealth consisted of
land (and serfs turned into peasants) and who hoped to pass this power down
through the generations undiminished.  The estate tax could certainly be
fine tooled so as not to break up family farms and historic estates in the
South but the tax is aimed at putting a crimp in inherited power:  which is
what billions of dollars is.  Indeed, it was the combination of the new
federal income tax and the existing estate tax that compelled the creation
of the great American foundations:  which were both charitable institutions
and tax dodges at the same time.  If you think not, name one major
incorporated charitable foundation save for those of Andrew Carnegie which
were created before 1913.

Harold S. Forsythe