From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:21:00 -0400
Hit the wrong button. You are correct 1491 is not Menzies' book. In
fact it is recommended by the Smithsonian on their web site as a good
source on NA native populations. SOme of the population figures are
not accepted by all, but measuring the prehistoric population of
anywhere is iffy.

As for what is taught school children... There is a lot of over
simplification and some teachers just don't know what they are talking
about. I taught middle school for the last two years and heard a
number of just wrong things being taught.