From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 20:58:56 -0400
The Regulars are out... and the Lincoln militia is there to meet them!

Come to the next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond and hear Richard C. Wiggin speak about them and his book Embattled Farmers: Campaigns and Profiles of Revolutionary Soldiers from Lincoln, Massachusetts, 1775 – 1783.  We meet next Wednesday, March 19, with dinner at 5:30 PM, followed by the meeting at 6:30 PM in the Heilman Dining Center at the University of Richmond.  Map and directions are at http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html.  Rick’s fascinating, well illustrated book chronicles the lives and war experiences of this specific group of early patriots.  Please join us.

And here’s much other information from our army of sources.  Thanks to you all.

1.  This from Dave Riggs at Yorktown -

Peter  Henriques of George Mason University (retired) and author of Realistic Visionary: A Portrait of George Washington, is returning to Colonial Williamsburg for another series of lectures on Washington. Both his book and his lectures are excellent. Lectures are at the DeWitt Wallace Museum, in Hennage Auditorium.  http://www.history.org/history/museums/dewitt_gallery_distinguished_lectures.cfmhttp://www.history.org/history/museums/dewitt_gallery_distinguished_lectures.cfm

George Washington Lectures with Peter Henriques
A Hard Man: The Tougher Side of George Washington – Wednesday, March 19 at 5:30 p.m.
An Amiable Gentleman: The Softer Side of George Washington – Thursday, March 20 at 5:30 p.m.
Discover how Washington’s personality was critical to his success. (1 hour) Additional $5 ticket required for each lecture.

2.  A few people sent this along.  Our friend Andrew O’Shaughnessy has won the New York Historical Society’s Annual Book Prize for The Men Who Lost America.  http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/book-on-losing-british-generals-wins-american-history-prize/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&action=click&module=Search&region=searchResults%230&version=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquery.nytimes.com%2Fsearch%2Fsitesearch%2F%3Faction%3Dclick%26region%3DMasthead%26pgtype%3DHomepage%26module%3DSearchSubmit%26contentCollection%3DHomepage%26t%3Dqry404%23%2Fandrew%2Boshaughnessy%2F&_r=1
We were fortunate enough to have Andrew speak to us last year.  Well deserved recognition.  Congratulations, Andrew.

3.  Again, a few friends sent this notice about the new Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia.  http://articles.philly.com/2014-03-07/news/47975283_1_museum-site-museum-backers-rendell  I believe that they have either just demolished or are about to demolish the old National Park Visitors Center from 1976 to make way for the new museum.  I spent many an hour there.

4.  Debby Padgett from the Jamestown – Yorktown Foundation reminded us that the -

YORKTOWN VICTORY CENTER TO HOST

AMERICAN REVOLUTION LECTURE APRIL 10

YORKTOWN, Va. – A public lecture at the Yorktown Victory Center at 7 p.m., Thursday, April 10, 2014, will consider the fate of Loyalists during the American Revolution.

Holger Hoock, the J. Carroll Amundson Professor of British History at the University of Pittsburgh, will present “‘The Tyranny of the People’: A Loyalist Perspective on the American Revolution.”  The lecture, rescheduled from September 28, 2013, will explore the role of violence in the treatment of Loyalists and in the stories they told of the Revolution and will conclude with an outlook on how they were re-integrated in the new American nation after 1783.

Hoock’s books include “Empires of the Imagination: Politics, War, and the Arts in the British World, 1750-1850.”  Trained in Germany and the United Kingdom, he earned his doctorate from the University of Oxford and has held fellowships at numerous United States institutions, including the Library of Congress.  He was research curator for the exhibition “Nelson & Napoleon” at the National Maritime Museum, London.

Admission to the lecture is free, and advance reservations are recommended by calling (757) 253-4572 or e-mailing [log in to unmask]  The lecture is supported with private donations to the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, Inc.

The Yorktown Victory Center, located at Route 1020 and the Colonial Parkway (200 Water Street), chronicles the American Revolution, from colonial unrest to the formation of the new nation, through gallery exhibits and historical interpretation at re-creations of a Continental Army encampment and 1780s farm.  Under the administration of the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, a Virginia state agency, the museum is undergoing a transformation with a new facility and expanded exhibits and will become the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown when the project is complete in 2016.  The Yorktown Victory Center remains open to visitors daily, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., while work is underway.  For more information, visit www.historyisfun.org or call (888) 593-4682 toll-free or (757) 253-4838.

5.  This one is from my wife Gerry about the forthcoming revolutionary spy series Turn - http://www.amctv.com/shows/turn  Some of this is being filmed in the Richmond area.

6. It appears that our George Washington was the richest of all presidents.  This is from our Vice President Bruce Venter’s daughter Jessica in Albany.  We have spies everywhere.  A very interesting article.  http://247wallst.com/banking-finance/2010/05/17/the-net-worth-of-the-american-presidents-washington-to-obama/

7. And speaking of Bruce, there’s still time to register for American’s History Third Annual Conference on the American Revolution in Williamsburg next weekend.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2013/12/3rd-annual-conference-on-the-american-revolution-march-21-23-2014/  I’ve said it before, the first two have been simple excellent.  If you’re a revolutionary person, you shouldn’t miss this one.

8.  The Third Congress of American Revolution Round Tables will be held in Morristown from May 2-4.  Please let me know if you are interested in attending.  It’s both a useful and fun weekend.  One of our visits will be to the Jacobus Vanderveer House and Museum, Knox’s headquarters during the encampment of 1778-1779.  A very interesting video is at http://www.jvanderveerhouse.org/cantonment.html

9.  The ARRT-Richmond will soon be selecting a 2014 preservation partner.  Our 2013 partner was Battersea Foundation.  Please bring your nominations to the meeting.

10.  Finally, realizing that many of us are interested in a wide historical range, Bert Dunkerly requested that this be noted:

Author Don Hopkins will speak about his recent book: Robert E Lee in War and Peace at Historic Tredegar on Thursday, March 27.  Mr. Hopkins will be signing books from 12-2, with a presentation at 12:30.  For more information contact Bert Dunkerly at [log in to unmask]"

See you all next week.  And, again, please bring a friend.

Bill Welsch