From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:37:27 -0400
> In looking over old family papers, I see several references to a lock or
locks along the
> canal, apparently in Nelson County.  Can anybody pin down if there indeed
was a lock or
> locks somehwere in the general vicinity between Howardsville on the east
and Norwood on
> the west?

Cousin Randy,

I would suggest two sources:

1) The Library of Virginia's Board of Public Works Maps, which are available
online at http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/BPW/  There are many old maps from the
James River & Kanawha Canal Company, most of them show locations of locks.

2) I know that this book has the answer...I just don't have my copy at
work...maybe someone else does: THE JAMES RIVER BATTEAU FESTIVAL TRAIL
By Wm E Trout, III. 50 pp The James from Lynchburg to Richmond and an
Illustrated History on the Batteau Festival. $9.55+ 45 tax= $10.00.
http://organizations.rockbridge.net/canal/